Palliative care services in St. Petersburg, Florida
Northside Hospital has partnered with Empath Health's palliative care services to improve the lives of the patients and families we serve. Palliative care aims to relieve pain, stress and symptoms associated with serious illnesses.
For more information about our palliative care services, call us at (888) 598-9586.
Palliative care services
With the aid of Empath Health, we offer the following services to anyone facing chronic or advanced illness:
- Advanced care planning
- Assistance for independent living
- Day care for seniors
- Guidance and emotional and spiritual support
- Hospice care
- Identification of support services
- Palliative home health
- Physician services
- Services for those infected or affected by HIV
- Treatment for pain and symptoms, such as fatigue, nausea, anxiety and depression
Our palliative care team
Our palliative care team includes board-certified physicians and licensed counselors with chaplain services available as requested. Our expert palliative care team helps patients by coordinating care and treatment with doctors and care team members
Candidates for palliative care
Patients who have serious illnesses and need assistance with pain, symptom and/or stress management may benefit from palliative care. Many of our patients have health conditions that affect their quality of life or cause them significant discomfort. Other patients come to us when they require additional support or if they have questions about their treatment plans.
Palliative care is best introduced early—alongside curative treatment—to help during all stages of serious illness.
You may request a palliative care consultation from your attending physician at any time during your hospital stay.
Benefits of palliative care
Palliative care can provide patients with many benefits, including:
- A better understanding of their health condition and medical choices
- Improved ability to carry on with their lives
- Improved tolerance of medical treatments
- Symptom management, such as pain, shortness of breath, fatigue, loss of appetite and difficulty sleeping
The differences between palliative care and hospice care
Hospice care is available to patients who are approaching the last stages of life. Palliative care, however, may benefit patients who are at any stage of a serious illness, and it can continue for several years.