Emergency room in St. Petersburg, Florida
Northside Hospital's emergency room (ER) provides 24/7, high-quality emergency care for all types of injuries and illnesses. Our emergency room is equipped to offer lifesaving services for adults and children of all ages.
If you think you are experiencing an emergency, please call 911. For more information on our emergency services, please call our Consult-A-Nurse® team at (888) 598-9586.
Emergency conditions we treat
Our emergency specialists deliver high-quality emergency treatment when our patients need it most. Some of the most common emergency conditions we treat include:
- Abdominal pain
- Asthma attacks
- Breathing problems
- Chronic, severe medical conditions
- Gynecologic conditions
- Heart problems, including heart attacks
- High fevers
- Pediatric conditions
ERs are where severe medical conditions are treated. Please see your family doctor or an urgent care center for minor injuries or illnesses.
Heart attack treatment
Our hospital was designated an Accredited Chest Pain Center with PCI (percutaneous coronary intervention) from the American College of Cardiology.
A heart attack occurs when blood is prevented from reaching the heart, usually due to a clot, causing parts of the heart to die. The longer a heart attack goes untreated, the more damage occurs.
Heart attack symptoms
If you are experiencing any of the following heart attack symptoms, call 911:
- Chest discomfort, including pressure, squeezing, fullness or pain that lasts for more than a few minutes or that subsides and then returns
- Discomfort in the upper body, including pain in one or both arms or the back, neck, jaw or stomach
- Indigestion or gastric fullness that is not relieved by antacids
- Shortness of breath
- Other signs, including cold sweats, nausea or sudden lightheadedness
Our cardiology program is available 24/7 to treat patients having heart attacks and coronary events.
The sooner a patient arrives at our ER with signs, of stroke, the sooner treatment can be administered. This is important because fast treatment decreases the likelihood of stroke-related disability.
Our stroke treatment program was the first in Pinellas County to be recognized as a Comprehensive Stroke Center by DNV GL Healthcare. We are also recognized as a Comprehensive Stroke Center by The Agency for Health Care Administration (AHCA), and we received the Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award with Target: Stroke Honor Roll Elite Plus from the American Heart Association (AHA).
It's important to know the symptoms of stroke and act quickly when you recognize them. Common stroke symptoms include:
- Facial droop, uneven smile or expression or numbness in the face
- One arm drifts down, weakness and numbness in an arm
- Slurred speech, use of wrong words or inability to speak
Additional symptoms include:
- Sudden trouble seeing in one or both eyes
- Sudden dizziness, loss of balance/coordination or trouble walking
- Sudden, severe headache with no known cause
Our ER wait times
While we strive to tend to each patient’s needs promptly, our doctors must prioritize care for patients with critical conditions. To keep your wait as short as possible, we have integrated a fast track triage program for minor injuries.
As part of our commitment to the St. Petersburg community, we publicize our wait times online so you can make an informed decision about your family’s care during a crisis. Our ER wait time is approximate and provided for informational purposes only.
The ER wait time represents the time it takes a patient to see a qualified medical practitioner after arrival. Patients may be assessed by other medical personnel before seeing a qualified medical practitioner. The ER wait time for our emergency room is updated approximately every 30 minutes, using an average from the previous four hours.