Cardiac and pulmonary rehab in St. Petersberg, Florida
The Heart Institute at Northside Hospital offers pulmonary and cardiac rehabilitation (rehab) programs. These medically supervised exercise and education programs help patients who have lung disease or who have recently undergone heart procedures.
For more information about our cardiac and pulmonary rehab programs, please call The Heart Institute at (888) 598-9586.
Cardiac rehabilitation programs
We offer inpatient and outpatient cardiac rehab programs. Cardiac rehabilitation is designed for patients who have undergone heart surgery, experienced a cardiac event or received a cardiac diagnosis, such as heart failure. Our rehabilitation services help patients improve their heart health.
Phase I—inpatient cardiac rehab
We offer a phase I inpatient cardiac rehab, which is managed by all the hospital staff involved in patient care. Our cardiac rehab team members tailor their services to meet each patient's unique needs, for example:
- Dietitians teach patients about heart-healthy diets.
- Nurses provide instructions about treatments, medications and information needed to go home.
- Physical therapists and an exercise physiologist help open-heart surgery patients exercise and walk, increasing their strength and stamina and preparing them to return home.
Phase II—outpatient cardiac rehab
Our phase II cardiac rehab program is designed to help patients who have returned home after a cardiac event. This program focuses on:
- Recovering after a heart attack, open-heart surgery, angioplasty, stenting and other interventions
- Living and coping well with heart failure
- Learning about heart disease treatment and medicines
- Reducing the potential of additional heart problems through risk factor modification
- Learning how to recognize heart symptoms and when to seek treatment
To participate in our phase II cardiac rehab, patients need a physician's referral. Once admitted into our program, participants are scheduled three times per week for up to 36 sessions.
Medicare and most insurance plans pay for phase II cardiac rehabilitation.
Outpatient pulmonary rehabilitation
Our outpatient pulmonary rehab program helps people with chronic lung disease cope physically and emotionally by focusing on:
- Reducing the symptoms of chronic lung disease
- Educating patients on breathing techniques, medicine and treatments
- Increasing strength and endurance
- Reducing feelings of anxiety and depression related to a patient's lung disease diagnosis
To participate in our phase II pulmonary rehab, patients need a physician's referral. Once admitted into our program, participants are scheduled twice per week for up to 36 sessions.
Medicare and most insurance plans pay for phase II pulmonary rehabilitation.
The Heart Institute is located on the north side of Northside Hospital's campus.
Our address is:
Medical Office Plaza
6006 49th Street North, Suite 110
St. Petersburg, FL 33709