Overactive Bladder/Urinary Incontinence
Over 33 million people in the United States suffer from bladder control problems, and both men and women can be affected.
The symptoms of overactive bladder include:
- Leaking triggered by laughing, sneezing, lifting heavy objects, or exercise
- A strong urge to urinate followed by loss of urine
- Inability to hold urine long enough to make it to a restroom
- Difficulty initiating urination
- Straining to empty the bladder
- Decreased urinary stream or "dribbling"
Do you need to see a physician?
- Is your bladder problem always on your mind?
- Do you feel the need to wear absorbent undergarments or stay near bathrooms, just in case?
- Have you avoided things that you used to enjoy because of fear of embarrassment?
- Do you get up to urinate several times throughout the night?
Options for treatment include:
- Insertion of a urinary catheter
- InterStim Therapy
What is InterStim Therapy?
InterStim Therapy is like a pacemaker for the bladder. It helps to stabilize the communication between the brain and the nerves that control the bladder.
- Approved by the FDA in 1997
- More than 100,000 implants have been inserted worldwide
Ready to take the next step? For more information about overative bladder or to get a physician referral, please call Consult-a-Nurse, our free community health service, at: 1-888-598-9586.