Above all else, we are committed to the care and improvement of human life.
If our mission resonates with you, a rewarding volunteer experience awaits! At Northside, we are providing cutting-edge heart procedures, reducing the permanent effects of stroke, and giving folks with orthopedic and spine problems new hope. Learn more about the impacts of our care.
Our volunteer opportunities range from roles with direct patient interaction in nearly every area of the hospital, including our Emergency Department, to non-patient care areas including the front desk, family waiting area, and in support of our professionals in ancillary departments.
Benefits of volunteering:
Research proves volunteers live longer, are healthier, happier, and, students earn more As than their non-volunteering peers! At Northside, volunteers take part in a wealth of free health and wellness education, receive a free meal for each shift served as well as a free flu shot each year. Curious what your volunteer personality is? Take the quiz!
Expectations of volunteers:
Northside's volunteer program requires a weekly minimum commitment of four hours per week for six consecutive months (three for teens). So that our services are of greatest benefit to our patients and their guests, our expectation is that volunteers are here as scheduled requiring commitment and reliability. Volunteers will be tested annually for TB and immunized for influenza.
How to volunteer at Northside in four easy steps:
- Fill out the application. New applications are only being accepted through 12/9/2019. Look for our new application link on January 3, 2020!
- Fill out the photo release and confidentiality form, and email them to our director. If you are unable to do this, print and bring the hard copies to your interview.
- If you're between 15 (minimum age) and 17 years old, complete and email the parental consent forms to our director.
- Call (727) 528-5959 to make an appointment for an interview at which the next steps will be discussed. Minors must be accompanied by a parent and be dressed professionally.
Important additional information:
- All interviews are conducted at the volunteer office located in the Medical Office Plaza at 6006 49th St N., Suite 350, St. Petersburg, FL 33709.
- Interviews are conducted weekdays except Thursdays. Interviews are scheduled hourly between 10:00am - 3:00pm so that volunteers can have their TB test planted immediately after. TB tests require volunteers to return 48-72 hours to have their test read.
- Orientation is always held on a Monday from 8:00am - 1:30pm generally twice per month.
Urgent need: Patient discharge transporter
This rewarding position includes the safe discharge of patients via wheelchair. If you're a strong person (to push a wheelchair up to 200lbs) with a soft heart, this role is for you! Opportunities are available weekdays from noon - 4:00pm and 4:00pm - 7:30pm.
Urgent need: Compassion concierges
Do you have the ability to warm peoples' hearts just by being you? These volunteers are the "first impressions" ambassadors. Some phone and computer work involved. Shifts vary.
Urgent need: Chief comfort officers
Chief Comfort Officers (CCOs) ensure patients' comfort during their stay with us. CCOs visit patients, and offer amenities from quiet kits to books, newspapers, playing cards, blankets, and more. Choose your weekday or weekend shift from 8:00am - noon; noon - 4:00pm; or 4:00pm - 7:30pm.
A FANStastic way to help others!
Food and Nutrition Services (FANS) ambassadors visit newly admitted patients to assist with a meal preferences questionnaire. Volunteers are needed two hours daily (pick your day or days) from 8:30am - 10:30am.
Emergency and emergency reception
ER volunteers answer call bells, assist patients with in-room tablets, make discharge phone calls, disinfect stretchers, and restock. ER reception volunteers, who serve in the registration area of the Emergency Department, assist walk-in patients at the registration kiosk, provide visitors with badges, and assist patients' visitors. Days and shifts vary.
Human resources intern
This is an unpaid internship specifically for those pursuing post-secondary education in Human Resources Management. The volunteer intern assists in Human Resources, and applies classroom coursework to the role by shadowing the department VP or designee, and completing special department projects. Please follow the steps above and include your resume and college transcript. Choose one full weekday 8:00am - 4:00pm.